Tuesday, December 14

5-minute cream cheese danish

I don't post too many recipes. I personally recommend Allrecipes, actually, and I rarely feel I have anything to add to the world of cuisine. But this recipe is too easy and too delicious to keep to myself.

If you have a can of crescent rolls and a package of cream cheese, you're in business.

Recipe after the jump!

Firstly, preheat your oven to 375 degrees (190 Cesius, for my Canadian friends) and line a cookie sheet with foil. Then, dump your ingredients into a mixing bowl.

8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt

Mix these until they're smooth; set aside. Open your fridge and grab your can of rolls.

Unroll your cresent rolls onto a sheet of wax paper, but don't separate them. Pinch the seams together, like so:

Use a small, sharp knife to score the edges like I've shown here:

Why on earth this picture is sideways is anyone's guess. Anyway, spoon your filling into the center of the dough. Don't fill it too full, just use about 80% of your filling.
Then fold the bottom part of the dough up and tuck it around the filling.

Begin "braiding" your dough, crossing one little flap over on one side, then the other, until you've gotten to the top. Fold the top of the dough over and tuck it around the other end of the filling. Carefully place your danish on your foil lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or so. While this is cooking, make your glaze.

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 TB milk

Whisk these together in a small bowl until smooth.

Left the foil with the danish on it from your cookie sheet and let it cool on a wire rack. This prevents the bottom of the danish from continuing to cook on the hot pan.

When it's cooled a bit, drizzle your glaze over it. Serve it for brunch and blow everybody's mind.




19 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,
    I wanted to let you know that I'll be bragging about you today! I'm going to be featuring your fabulous PB Inspired Wall Art Spoon on my Brag Monday post!
    Karen
    P.S. This Danish looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so yummy! I believe I will be making this to take to church this weekend! Thanks for sharing this cheap and simple recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog through Knock-Off Decor and love it! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knock off Decor featured you and now I'm looking through your older posts. Just had to write down your recipe for this yummy looking danish which is a must for our ladies get together. Now I can make it and save a little cash by doing so. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for my hubby and I and it was absolutely fantastic!! I am going to be making this cheese danish again for my brother's graduation party! I love that there are only a few ingredients and its quick, yet beautiful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! Can also use the cresent roll that is one sheet and it works just as good! Will be making this for my family from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone made one with pie filling like cherry or strawberry? Mixing the flavors with the cream cheese would be yummy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I PUT FRESH BLUEBERRIES ON TOP OF THE CREAM CHEESE, THEN FOLD OVER THE STRIPS! YUMMY!

      Delete
  8. Why don't you just assemble it on foil to begin with? Or parchment? Seems like it would be a lot easier than transferring it from wax paper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a hell of a time transferring it from wax paper to foil. Why not just assemble on foil or parchment ??? Just put it in the oven, we'll see what comes out.

      Delete
  9. My filling was really runny and and hard to keep on the roll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, had a really runny filling. My rule is to make it exactly like the recipe the first time... Will add more powdered sugar next time. Also, I am going to add a strawberry puree down the middle next time!! :) it's baking now, we'll see????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this one evening and it was so easy and oh so delicious! Made another a day later. Now I'm making one to take to a friend. I used the seamless rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would puff pastry work with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen other recipes using the puff pastry. I think it would taste much better.

      Delete
  13. If you are only suppose to use 80% of the filling, what did you do with the other 20%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saying eat it as your well deserved treat for "slaving" over that wunnerful little piece of heaven. Well, that's what I'd do.

      Delete
  14. Yes, what do you do with the other 20%of the filling? Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I really do read them all and I greatly appreciate the feedback.